Friday, May 2, 2014

Current Inspiration: Buttoned Up Bohemian


There are some designers that do bohemian style really well.  And while I love that relaxed, chilled-out, hippie vibe (dude, I'm from California) my version of bohemian design is a bit more "buttoned up".  And, I think the unexpected mix of boho and super traditional is where it's at.  :)  Think fancy, glossy, traditional furniture and tailored upholstery mixed with eclectic textiles and natural elements like horn, seagrass and animal hide.  The combo tends to feel relaxing, unpretentious, and a little easy-breezy (as any bohemian vibe should), but the unexpected element of "fancy" makes the space feel a little more polished.

I just finished a project for a local Philadelphia client, and the vibe was very much "buttoned up bohemian".  So, these are some of the inspiration images that are covering my desk this week.  I love how these rooms seem to tell a story.  Such an interesting mix...


 Nathan Turner


 Betsy Burnham


Betsy Burnham


Nathan Turner



Kristen Panitch


 Kristen Panitch


 Kristen Panitch


Kristen Panitch


Thom Felicia


Thom Felicia


Peter Dunham


Thom Felicia

I think the trick to achieving this look is by combining textures and finishes, adding layers of pattern, and unexpected shots of color.  Here is a modified version of that design board from my recent presentation (with a few links down below)...




master bedroom - 




...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Studio Yuko Jones said...

Oh my gosh, I love this buttoned up Bohemian thing! I've never heard of it but I really like the unexpected touches and combinations. Thank you for introducing me to this new world!

Kelly Robson said...

Haha! Thanks, Yuko. I made it up! This is about as "hippie" as I get. :)

xx
Kelly

Gazebo and Bali Hut Super Store said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monnaie Ernakulam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...