Friday, January 18, 2013

Interior Shutters

 
 
I met with a new Philadelphia client yesterday.  While I was there, we started talking about interior shutters (see her beautiful windows above).  Her 100 year old stone house features 18" think walls with deep inset windows-- it's gorgeous!  Interior shutters seem like a wonderful solution for this historic home. 
 
Originally created out of pure necessity, interior shutters provided security, shade, and insulation from the outside world.  Raised panel designs were most popular in the north east, while louvered styles dominated the warmer climates of the south.  I've been a fan of interior shutters for quite some time.   I love the idea of being able to block everything out and create total privacy.   But my favorite thing?  I love the way built-in shutters enhance the existing architectural details of a room.  They fold away and hide against the wall, allowing lots of light to pour through the windows.  Dave and I are thinking about installing them in our own home this year (mostly for the bathrooms, and possibly for a few other rooms as well).  Add this to the loooooong list of 2013 projects.  :)
 
 
These are some of the inspiration images floating around my desk... 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...
 
 
If you're a history nerd like me, or if you own an old home, you might enjoy reading a bit more on the historical significance of interior shutters.  Here are a few interesting links that I've been reading lately...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Also, for what it's worth, here's an interesting list of sources (nationwide) for custom and pre-made shutters:
 
 
 
 
...
 
 
 
 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Rosamapose said...

Such a gorgeous way to control light flow, and it adds unique detail! I'd have to add some color, though-à la second image from the bottom. Great inspiration :)

xx
Rose
Blonde in this City

Elyse | Peonies and Brass said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love elements like this that add so much to a space without you even registering it.

Kathleentx said...

We bought an old home in Texas and the raised panel interior shutters for our living room are being made in Massachussets! We could not find anyone in this part of the country who made the. Thanks so much for the post, am going to read those historical articles now..:)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Esp. sliding windows. Thanks for sharing dear. Garage Doors Austin

billie said...

Just found your post on interior shutters. Love, love, love them. They are the only window treatments in my home. Wound up pinning many of your images. Thanks so much for the inspiration. Will check into your blog again.

Katie said...

I recently did some renovation in my house, and I must say that the shutters were one of my favorites! Just like in the 4th picture, I had huge shutters installed and even turned some into doors and dividers for some of the rooms in the house. Their elegance is such a wonderful touch of style in every home. I wish you luck for your 2013 projects!

Regards,
Katie

Michelle Anne said...

I also appreciate the beauty and functions of good shutters and custom blinds. I have found beautiful shutters from a very good shop here and it suits well with my interior. I agree that it makes the whole architecture look more edgy.

Interior Shutters said...

... shtinterior.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...