Friday, March 12, 2010

Not Shear Genius

I have been to the same salon four times, asked for the same haircut four times, left feeling unhappy four times.  What is my problem?  My desired haircut is nothing crazy-- Katie Holmes circa 2008.  I love this haircut, and often bring in photos as visual aids...


But, I end up feeling like this...



I came home today, took an immediate shower, and restyled to a more "me" feeling.  My stylist here is a very pleasant girl, and very talented (she is legit, don't get me wrong).  But, I miss my Santa Monica stylist!

Can anyone recommend a good salon in the Philadelphia area?  I will pretty much drive anywhere.  Or else, get me ready for Glamour Shots.

...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

kyli said...

I wish I could help, but all I can do is commiserate. I've been salon-hopping for the last year hoping to find someone that can manage my naturally unruly hair into some shape that works both straight and textured. Despite the fact that I live in New York, a place that should be a veritable mecca of talent - no dice.

Good luck!

RLG said...

I really feel for you, Kelly. I wish I could make a recommendation. I finally found someone about two years ago that I worship -- she's helped me grow out the shortest, most excruciating cut in my hair's history. I've promised to bankroll her if I ever win the lottery. Good luck. xoxo

Dayka Robinson said...

don't know anything about philly, but the katie holmes cut is super cute. do you have a vidal sassoon there? if so, that would be my suggestion. maybe you can try the one in nyc when you're there? if you get the creative director, you can never go wrong. good luck!

Sapo y Pato said...

jospeh at peliggi on the square- he listens, recommends, and does what you ask--always a great cut.

paula said...

Ha! I so did this cut when it came out in instyle. loved it. still do, but now I am going long.

Jennifer said...

I feel your pain. After 16 years I finally found someone who understands my hair (SUPER fine) AND the way I want it to look. I already dread moving away from her and we're not even thinking about doing that!

I'm no help. Sorry!

Jennifer said...

meant 26 years! but then, I've really only been thinking about my hair for 16, I guess.

Unknown said...

I live in Philly but go to NY when it's time for a cut. I can't quit my old stylist. However, it seems that everyone I know raves about JuJu Salon and Organics on 4th St. in the Fabric Row area.

Tracy said...

I'm not sure how close you are to these but I LOVE Kerri at Lauren.Hair.Style in Wayne. My second choice is Raina at Ambiance in Springfield (Delaware County). Both are great!!

pve design said...

I finally found a wonderful stylist, she ended up being the least expensive. I think you have to try several til you find the right one. I paid so much more, but I feel more like me, with this stylist, not too blond, not too puofy, just right.
pve

Anonymous said...

I second the recommendation of JuJu salon on 4th. Both Cammille and Julie, the owner, are great. Tie it in with a trip to Fabric Row and grab a cookie from Famous 4th Street Deli across the street!

Anonymous said...

Uh, I feel your frustration, but at least you have hair left. Years ago, I was in my 'save money' craze and chopped a chunk out of the back of my hair. I gave in and went to a good salon, telling her 'to fix it.' She promptly took the clippers, started at the back, and went forward. I had used clippers on my son's hair, and thought she had the long comb on, but she didn't. When she finished I looked exactly like Demi in 'G.I. Jane.' This was right after 9-1-1, so I figured there were worse things than being in shock over hair that grows. And I was right. I had more compliments than ever, yet I dressed uber feminine to prove my point. The hair grew, and yes, I went back to...cutting my own hair...but did find good stylists. Take the salon suggestions here...and happy hairdo!

alexkeller said...

wow - you're nice! i wouldn't have gone back after the first time. someone once told me to spot women with hair i like and then ask them who their stylist is. don't be shy, we all love compliments, and referrals are the best way to drive business.

Callie said...

I went for this cut too after that magazine came out. My stylist, who I love, unfortunately told me that the fabulous part about that cut is all in the styling. So he gave me the cut, it looked great when he styled it, but not nearly so interesting when I did it myself! When I did it myself it was more like a slightly layered bob...

Pink Wallpaper said...

i love katie holmes hair in that pic! take pics and let us see yours now!

Maureen said...

I love love love Joe Adams at American Mortals at 7th and Walnut in the city. Being pregnant and tired of fussy, I completely trusted him to work his magic and cut my long locks... and voila... Katie Holmes haircut, all lovingly done with a razor. He's the best and the shop is great.

Amanda said...

I got my hair cut recently and I really liked the stylist. Left there feeling like a million bucks UNTIL I got home, washed and flat ironed my hair. UMMMM, it's longer on one side than the other.

The salon charged $21.00 EXTRA for flat ironing. Me thinks they should reconsider.

Love the hair style you want to achieve. I hope you find a new stylist that can give you what you want.

Anonymous said...

Carissa at Capriotti in Narberth (on the mainline)

RedRedOrange said...

I have followed René from her manyunk salon to Lakshmi in Old City. She is AMAZING! and if you need color, her partner in crime Ali is the best around. Let me know if you want more info!

victoria said...

were you able to get it cut the way you liked? I went in yesterday with the same picture and came home crying. so is this cut attainable?

Kelly Robson said...

Oh no, Victoria! I'm sad to hear that. I don't know if this cut is attainable (I've had so many failed attempts at recreating it). :) But, now I go to Jason Matthews Salon in Center City and I leave happy every single time. Ask for Kathy Tasca. She is fabulous. I have to be honest with you, I am so busy that I only get in for a haircut every 3 months... but, I love the way it grows out! She gives a great cut. Highly recommend.

xoxo
Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...